Monday, May 22, 2017

20 Time Individual Reflection

     My 20 time project was an experiment that was trying to find which food they preferred: genetically modified food or organic food. People rated the food on a scale of one to five on appearance and taste. The three foods we used were cheese, corn, and bananas. We also included some research that we did about the topic. I chose this project because at the time of choosing, we had learned about biotechnology and the modification of food. It seemed like an interesting topic to learn about and test. My partner and I did this project to inform people about the two different kinds of food. It was also done to see if there actually was a difference in preference among people. People can make their own decision about what they want to eat, but now they will have more information about each.
     Our initial plan was to do research for a few weeks and then conduct our experiment. Our first weeks were well-spent, and we looked at and got sources for our information. The original plan was to use about ten people as test subjects. That number went down to about seven. In the end, we ended up testing four people for each of the three foods. One thing that I would have done differently if we had more time would be to get more people to do the test. Then, we would have more generalized data at the end. Still, our experiment provides a small sample of what people prefer. Our experiment also could have happened earlier in the year. We were not getting the materials in time to conduct the experiment on the dates we set. This could have allowed us to involve more people. A success was that we finished the project. We explained the experiment, put together data tables, analyzed our results, and included some of the research we had done at the beginning. We put it all together in a document and included a works cited.
     If I did this experiment again, I would stick to our deadlines and get more test subjects. I got better at doing experiments because we had to put together our own instead of it being given to us. My researching also improved because we had to find reliable sources for our information. Since I worked with a partner, I made my communication skills better. We did not always agree on what was best for the experiment, but we compromised and ended up finishing. We were able to work together to complete work and reach a common goal. I learned that I could get things done (while not always meeting deadlines) when I put my mind to it. I need to procrastinate less if I want to get things done on time and done well. I am done with this challenge now because we completed our project. We collected our data and analyzed it. There is still more to learn about this topic, but this experiment can give people more information about what they eat. It's not too much information, but it will include things that people have never seen before.

No comments:

Post a Comment