Friday, September 23, 2016

Unit 2 Reflection

     This unit was about three different subjects: the properties of water, the 4 main macromolecules, and enzymes. We went over the basics: the periodic table, atoms, and elements. Then, we learned about three different bonds: ionic (atoms giving up electrons), covalent (atoms sharing electrons), and hydrogen (only applies to water, positive regions are attracted to negative regions). Also, we learned about different properties of water. Polarity is the unequal distribution of charges between H and O. Cohesion is when water bonds with water, adhesion is when water bonds with something else, and capillary action is when the force of the H-bonds are stronger than the force of gravity. 


     Next, we learned about carbohydrates, which are made of sugar rings and provide energy. Lipids are fats, phosolipids, oils, etc. and they store energy. Proteins are structural and are enzymes, and they provide support to the body. Nucleic acids are made up nucleotides stranded together, and they are a source of information. Finally, enzymes are proteins that speed up chemical reaction by lowering the activation energy needed. They can be affected by pH and temperature and can become denatured, which means they won't work. I also learned more about sugars, factors that affect enzymes, and enzymes themselves.

     I had success in understanding most of the content that was represented to me. I did all of the vodcasts, and what I didn't understand was answered in class. Most of the things I learned in this unit were things I already knew about, but I got more information and explanations about them. This unit was good for expanding on what I already knew before. One setback I had was the part of the labs, because I think our group could have made some errors on steps of the procedures. I think that when we do labs, we can all follow the procedures better, and try not to make errors that would affect our results. I am better from what I was at the beginning of the unit because now I know more and will do better work now that I understand how everything works.
     I want to learn more about some of the macromolecules. What we learned about the 4 different molecules did not really talk about how different molecules affect the macromolecules. Also, I want to know how it all works together in one system. Hopefully as we go on in this school year, I will understand and know more about this subject. 
     

No comments:

Post a Comment